Do you know those days of utter madness? I mean the headache inducing, stress filled chaotic type of madness. The days when you come home and have that feeling of utter bewilderment as to why you have to be the grown up that feeds all the humans in your house. How did that even happen? The thought of making dinner is about as appealing as a cold bath. I won’t lie, I often find myself thinking like this and generally I actually bloody love to cook. The problem is that children at times can suck the life out of you and by the time you get to dinner, you’re about as inspired as a donkey. But fear not friends, I’m here to attempt to lend a hand, a beacon of inspiration and a promise of a tasty dinner that won’t require too much of you! A quick fry up in a wok and some rice and you’re done. Toddler approved and makes for a great lunch the next day too. Once you’ve made it for the first time, this quick and easy sesame chicken will soon be one of your go to family meals.
For the chicken
4 medium chicken breasts (diced)
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp rapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
Salt & Pepper (to season)
For the sauce
5 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp sesame seeds
3 tbsp cider vinegar
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
4 cloves of garlic (chopped very finely)
80g of cooked rice per person
1. In a large bowl, beat the egg. Add the corn starch to the egg and beat until well combined. Season well with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the rapeseed oil in the pan until very hot. Add the chicken to the egg mixture, stirring until all of the chicken is well coated. Now add the chicken to the hot oil. Stir occasionally and continue to cook until golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.
3. Meanwhile make the sauce by adding the soy sauce, sesame seeds, vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch, water and oil together with the garlic.
4. Once the chicken is cooked, turn down the pan slightly and add the sauce mixture. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce thickens and then remove from the heat.
5. Serve over a bed of rice and garnish with basil leaves.
Looking for some more easy family meals? Why not try these delicious Tomato and Tuna Mini Quiches.
Yum! Who needs a toddler – I reckon I can try this one out on my husband 😉