I don’t know what happened when I became a mother. Somewhere between getting pregnant and running around after my rogue children, I lost myself a little. Things that were once important, seem less so. Time I used to have for myself has disappeared. I know that looking after myself is somewhere on my to do list. Though come to think of it, it’s most probably at the bottom of the list, you know with less urgent matters, like cleaning out the microwave. My days of procrastinating over Urban Decay shadow palettes are passed. I am covered in smudges of many things, but eye shadow is well down the list of contenders. Do you see my predicament yet? I’ve forgotten to factor in time to look like the best version of myself. Scrap that, look like a less terrifying version of myself. Let’s face it, I need the hard stuff now more than ever to mask the bags under my eyes and emerging frown lines. Basically, I need someone to just send me stuff, that will sort this out. Preferably in a nice looking box. Monthly. Oh wait, that’s a thing isn’t it. Oh, hello Birchbox.
Why I signed up to Birchbox?
- I have limited time alone. When I say limited, I mean I toilet alone, occasionally shower alone and sometimes when I put the kids in the car and walk back around to the drivers seat sometimes I get a good ten seconds of me time. It’s just my life stage and I’m cool with it. Shopping alone for cosmetics? Good one.
- I love trying new things. It’s lovely to discover things you didn’t know existed. Also to discover things you don’t know how you existed without.
- Small sizes are perfect for me, because it gives me a chance to try for a while before being fully committed.
- A mixture of make-up and skincare products is just what I need. I love make-up but skincare is a big learning curve for me at the moment. It has been 28 days since I used face wipes. I have to tell you, the view is mighty up here on my high horse. I have not purchased face wipes from a German supermarket in 2018, and it feels good. 2018 is the year of self-care and therefore, I am embracing all the skincare goodness that can be squeezed into my Birchbox.
- Birchbox get you to set up a user profile and assign your skin type and beauty preferences. By doing this you only get things that will suit you and products types you have an interest in.
How much does Birchbox cost?
- Birchbox will set you back approximately €14.50 a month including postage (£10 + £2.95 postage).
- In the grand scheme of things it’s not a huge expense and you can cancel at any time.
- It is slightly cheaper to sign up to a 12 month contract for £110 which is an option on the site.
Is it worth it?
For me, the convenience and excitement of getting something just for me is beyond worth it. I wouldn’t blink if it was something for the kids. I am committed to a box of happiness arriving for me once a month. Money can’t buy happiness I know, but it can buy you a Birchbox.
Fancy £5 off your first Birchbox? Click here.